Seiten

24 July 2014

It's done: two Prefontaine Shorts by Made with Moxie

Hey everyone!
It’s been a while. In the meantime we became Fifa World Champion!!! Want to know why apart from our glorious team, because I’m a good girl and renewed the application on Mr. Kat’s jersey. The original name imprint was coming loose and I fixed this by sewing felt letters over them.
I finished this about 20 minutes before the match started. What a lucky girl I am that he once chose the jersey of Miroslav Klose with only five letters in his name, since we have guys with names long as M-E-R-T-E-S-A-C-K-E-R or S-C-H-W-E-I-N-S-T-E-I-G-E-R in our team. In the end this was all sewing I did for the big finale. I had plans for sewing yellow shorts for the big day to combine them with a red shirt and a black cardi but this stayed a plan and it still worked.
Speaking of shorts. After complaining quite a lot that summer has vanished here, it’s back! In full force! Perfect weather for the Prefontaine Shorts by Made with Moxie.
I’ve told before that I bought the last PerfectPatternParcel#3 and this package was a nice SummerPerfectPatternParcel including said shorts if you were willing to spend more than $28 on this package, which I was.
The pattern comes with two length options. For the first version I made the longer one. With a back patch pocket on the left side, because I am left handed and mainly use the ones on the left with my other pants.
With the variable inseam length comes something I don’t get about the pattern. The instruction tells you, that the longer version has an inseam of 5’’. By cutting off a strip at marked line you get an inseam of 1.25’’. Nothing special so far in general, my problem is here that this strip is only 2.5’’ high. 5 – 2.5 = 1.25??? If you have any idea how this works, please enlighten me. I’ve been scratching my head about this for some time now and I like to keep my hair.
I like this pair quite a lot but I’m not sure how far I can take them: my house, the back yard, front yard, the lake or beach? Will my neighbors think that I’m still running around in my pajamas in the late afternoon?
See all the nice topstitching on the bias tape. These shorts don’t need much but be prepared for endless seams. Not much isn’t completely right, before you start your own version make sure you have enough bias tape on hand. I just stared without the instruction, chose some fabric from my stash (Hello Summer Stashbust!) and some matching bias tape and began cutting and sewing. Somewhere in the middle I checked the instructions for something else and stumbled across the required amount of bias tape, 5 yards is the only number given. Well, I had started with a brand new package of 3 meters (about 3.3 yds) and panicked a little. I tried to calm myself by telling me that since it was store bought (about three years ago) it would probably still be available in the same color. But for reference I made a size 8 and this is what I had left of my 3.3 yards:
Close call!
The size chart is a little bit different from other patterns. It just gives you the finished hip width and tells you to choose the size slightly bigger (about 1’' more) than you hip measurement. I was a little coward here and tried it with about 2’’ more. For a woven fabric that is okay but smaller would also work.
I liked the style of the shorts so much that I made a second pair with leftover fabric (Hello Summer Stashbust again) from the hoodie in this post and a million meters of leftover bias tape made for this little number.

This time the inseam is 1’’ shorter, it has no back pocket (laziness is the only reason) and the waistband is a separated piece.
I like this style a bit more than the original. This thin sweatshirt fabric as no real stretch per se but for this version at least one size smaller but have been better. It’s nothing major and both pair have been in heavy rotation during the last evenings at home. I have plans for a more (dressier) versions but before that can happen I want at least finish my (hopefully, the fabric/curtain grow a lot on me) wearable muslin of my Tap shorts by Katy&Laney. Here is a sneak peek:
I’m off to enjoy another nice summer evening in my back yard.
If you are living in the northern hemisphere tell me about you summer sewing plans or summer go-to patterns and for those in the wintery southern hemisphere let me tell you, summer will return eventually, hang in there!
Thanks for stopping by,
Kat

No comments:

Post a Comment